Thursday, May 3, 2007

kwentong retreat

When I got into OMF Literature, I learned to look forward to several things: sweldo days, booklaunches, lunch times and coffee breaks, inventory, Christmas parties, and of course, the annual retreat.

So far, I’ve been to three OMF Lit retreats. My first was in Iba, Zambales, where I had the pleasure of rooming in with Manong Willie and Ian, wading in the waters around the Hundred Islands, getting an award during the Fun Night (for my costume or ridiculous performance, I forgot), gorging myself on grilled pork, fish, squid, and vegetables, jamming with some friends along the beach at 12 midnight.

My second retreat was last year at Rizal Re-creation Center. I enjoyed the plenary sessions by Dr. Tim Gener, the tour and swimming & eating by the falls at Villa Escudero, the shopping at the Liliw Tsinelas Festival, being a part of the choir (highlight! haha!), the bonfire and bonding time with friends while lying down on the grass at 12 midnight. And I also got to facilitate one of the small groups, and co-introduce (with Amy) Dr. Gener in one of the plenary. We asked him to sing for us, and he graciously said yes.

My third retreat. That would be last week’s retreat, April 24-26, once again at RRC. Being my second time, you would think I’d be bored with the venue. No, not really. I realized that I had not ‘maximized’ my retreat there last year. I did not use the bowling lanes, the billiards table, the table tennis, the rope course...maybe you’re asking what facility did I use at RRC last year? Uh, the grass (see previous paragraph), the swimming hole—since it has only one depth. I didn’t really know how to swim, so I just stayed at the side pretending I knew what I was doing (I did try the water slide, and knew enough to ‘swim’ to the side when I gurgled to the surface). The volleyball court and badminton court (one-on-one kami ni Gladys but it was cut short because of lunch, I think. Forgot who was winning...ako yata. Haha! Kidding, parang siya).

So when I heard it was going to be RRC again, I sort-a knew what I wanted to do (and not do). Check: the coffee/ice cream snack bar, bowling, sleeping, reading on a banig on the grass. Cross-out: swimming (sayang lang oras ko), badminton. I also had an idea what to bring (plenty of shirts!), hand fan, water bottle.

As the retreat theme suggests (Eat All U Can!), I was getting ready to ‘eat’ my fill. And I did, though I did not get to do all the items checked above. But aside from those I did do, I had a lot of other pleasant ‘meals’ that I enjoyed.

This year, I held a workshop for men (I now realize that I should have expanded the workshop and talked about being men of God), I was part of the recreation/games committee, and played back-up to the other committees. Together with some friends, we played a 3D boardgame called Heroscape (losing everytime but then someone has to. Blame the dice!). And the plenary sessions on the Sermon on the Mount, by Dr. Bel Magalit, were enriching. I was able to nap one siesta time, talk to friends over lunch and late at night, basketball (some shooting, but it was fun! To think I gave up on this sport. Tsk, tsk, tsk). You can tell I had a good time.

Yes, I look forward to the annual retreat. The key to having fun? It’s not so much where you are but what you do there. And who you’re with.

2 comments:

gludsie said...

The Annual Staff Retreat is also one of the things I look forward to every Fiscal Year. And never pa kong nadisappoint. :) The Lord always does something wonderful. :D
Ey, congrats sa nakakapagod (pero enjoy) na outdoor games. :D More! :D

Anonymous said...

tnx glads. twinkling star ka talaga, and sometimes you're sunshine afer a gloomy day. :) pagusapan na natin yung sa office devo!