Thursday, March 8, 2007

Two Trips

I’ve been on a trip down the past in just a few days. Twice, actually.

First trip. A former client asked me to design a residential ministry center. It had to look like a house because it was to be located in a residential community. And they wanted to make the place their ministry center in that area. The challenge was fitting it all in a less-than-30 square meter lot. That’s smaller than the average 7-11 stores. Whopee.

At first I had misgivings about doing architecture work again. But since it was only a small house, I said yes. So I worked on it, doodling with a pen and scratch paper, tapping away at the keyboards using my old AutoCad computer program. I had fun! This was what I loved about architecture—the designing, the challenge of twisting and turning spaces and rooms so that everything will fit together like…uh…a house. Should fit together. Okay. I spent several long hours at my computer until I was finally satisfied. Print! And the architect in me enjoyed the exercise. So, I can still do this, huh. Can still work until the wee hours of the morning, sleep for a few hours, prepare for work, rush to the MRT, and hopefully make it to the office by 9am. Then drown a mug of hot coffee. Haha, gudlak.

Next trip was an accident. I was going through old folders trying to find one clean enough to put my newly designed house plans when, tada, I stumbled upon my old sermons! My first few attempts at delivering the message in church! Hmmm, I flipped through them, reading and thinking to myself, what was I trying to say? Aha, okay, this was about Peter and fishing with Jesus…when Joseph, Mary and baby Jesus fled to Egypt!…uh hmmm, Hannah, Samuel’s mother….As I flipped through them, I relived the experience—preaching, the struggle of preparing, the nervousness of speaking, the fear and joy. A mix of dread and excitement. A friend said something like that’s healthy, it keeps you dependent on God. I agree. And, yes, I’m encouraged and humbled at how God used me. And continues to use me.

It’s way past midnight and I’m still awake. I’m thinking about my trips down memory lane and how God brought me through. I’m sure you have your own trips. Old pictures, letters and cards from friends, souvenirs, maybe an old text message you haven’t deleted. Enjoy them, every now and then. They are definitely worth keeping. God’s gift, these trips.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha! In my groggy state, i managed to post "Two Trips" twice! Bale, Four Trips na siya! Hahaha! There, I deleted the other one.

Thanks, Beng, for the heads up.

Beng said...

Hi Ben, but that was smart of you in defending yourself, saying "Two times na-post kasi two trips siya!" ;)
You, my friend, will have a long way to go in this journey of life. There'll be more trips to recall, more trips to take. This--writing about these trips--is good. So that you will always have something to look back on and so that won't lose your way.

bijoi said...

basta pag magpapagawa na ko ng mansion ikaw ang architect ha? :D

Anonymous said...

hey ben - u write well, mah good friend ;) easy to read and heart-felt. may the God of our journeys take you to more trips that give you more reasons to remember His goodness :)

Anonymous said...

hi ivs, sure, it will be my pleasure...pagusapan nalang nating ang bayad ha. Hehe!


hi aleks, thanks! Read your latest article in youngblood, sweet naman ng nanay mo.