Sunday, February 18, 2007

Psalm 62

My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will never be shaken.

Several Wednesdays ago, I shared some thoughts on Psalm 62 at my church's Wednesday Prayer Meeting. I was drawn to this Psalm because of several images that entered my mind upon reading it: resting in God alone; He is my rock, salvation and fortress; the comfort of security.

I’m thankful that God is a never-changing God, and that this Psalm still speaks truth today. God is a big, solid, strong rock—a fortress. We can lean on Him, finding shelter and safety in His strength. Reminds me of another verse, Psalm 61:2: From the ends of the earth I call to You, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. Sometimes this, too, is my prayer. My heart grows faint, lead me, draw me to You!

It is then comforting that our God is also our salvation. Imagine if we are in the hands of a not-so-strong God. Would we be certain of what we hope for, if there is doubt if He can hold us forever? But Jesus assures us that no one can snatch God’s people from God’s hand. There is the promise of a strong, powerful God, a mighty rock and a fortress, in whom is also found our salvation.

God being who He is, there is a security that not even the best insurance companies in the world can dream of ever assuring their clients. God’s people are sure of who they are, what they should do, and where they will go. We are God’s children (a right God gave to those who believed and trusted in Jesus, John 1:12), we should love our God (still the greatest commandment, and from which all other commandments should follow), and we are certainly going to heaven (even now, we belong to God’s kingdom).

Psalm 62 started with finding rest in God alone. I got to thinking if I do seek God and find rest in Him, or lean on something else for rest. Or someone. Where do we find rest? Interestingly, verse 1 is repeated in verse 5 but with a slight difference. Verse 1 is more a declaration; verse 8 is a reminder. Though knowing where to find real rest, was the writer of Psalm 62 reminding himself of what he already knew? Sabi sa inyo interesting.

Every now and then I need to be reminded of this Psalm. Maybe you do, too. We need to be reminded of what we already know: we find rest in God alone because He is a strong rock and fortress, He holds our salvation and nothing can wrestle us out of His hand. Find rest, O my soul, in God alone.

No comments: